- Family Connections
Dear Parents and Guardians,
The 2015-2016 academic year is off to a great start! As I mentioned in my summer letter, our goal is for every student to become an integral part of the Skyline community by committing to academics, involving themselves in an extra-curricular activity and exemplifying the Falcon Way at all times! This year our school goals center around writing, increased ACT performance and increased access to Honors and Advanced Placement Curriculum. To that end, I have been meeting with every one of our 78 teachers about how they are addressing these goals in their classes – I’ve had some great conversations!
To support our students in achieving their academic goals, we are encouraging students to visit the Academic Center, located in the IMC. Staff members are available Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30 – 3:30pm and Wednesday during lunch to help students with homework or classwork in any area they may be struggling in. Also, Parent Teacher Conferences will be held on October 14th and 15th from 3 – 8pm. (Reminder - all staff members will be having a dinner break from 5 – 5:30pm. ) Please plan on coming in order to meet with your student’s teachers if you have questions or concerns.
We had a hugely successful Homecoming Week filled with class competitions, spirit days, tailgating, a police escort to our Homecoming Football game, and a fabulous dance attended by over 380 students. Thanks to all students and staff that helped make our Homecoming Week a great set of events. Skyline Fall Sports are also off to a great start – most notably our Boys Soccer Team, which is currently undefeated! If you get a chance to come out and support our teams, the students would love to see you. Also, Skyline High School and its STEM Academy will be featured in a documentary with the Council of Chief State School Officers. Several other St. Vrain Valley’s schools and programs will be highlighted in this video, including the Innovation Center where we have many Skyline students employed.
· Start and end times are 7:30-2:30. Encourage your student to be here on time to every class each and every day!
· Fee Billing Statements are included. Student fees payments can be made on-line through Revtrak at https://stvrain.revtrak.net Cash payments are accepted in the office during normal business hours Monday – Friday 7am – 3:30pm.
· PSAT Testing will be administered at Skyline on October 14, 2015. Students interested in taking this test should sign up in Counseling. Test cost is $17, and must be reserved by October 13, 2015.
· College Information Night will be October 21st from 6:30 to 8pm. Join our counseling staff to get valuable information.
· ACT Practice Test will be administered for all Juniors on November 4th. Please have your student see their counselor for more information.
· We need parents for our Accountability Committee! This committee meets three times a year to look at school data, goals and our School Unified Improvement Plan (required by all schools in the state). If you are interested in serving on this committee, contact Laurieann Henderson, Assistant Principal.
· We’d like to take this opportunity to remind parents and students that the neighborhoods near Skyline strive to be clean, safe communities. Please help by respecting their property, properly disposing of trash and obeying all parking laws.
· As always, please check our website for updated, important information about Skyline: www.svvsd.shs.org. In addition, I post updates about school events on my Twitter Account: @SHS_Principal.
Thank you for being a part of the Falcon Family and thank you for allowing us to work with your student to achieve his or her goals!